Only an hour’s drive from Adelaide, Riverton is an attractive rural township with its tree-lined main street and many interesting and historic buildings.
Settled by Europeans in the 1840s, inkeeper and pastoralist James Masters was at the vanguard, sending his flocks and shepherds into the region where there was excellent pasture. This fertile land was surveyed in 1853 and broken up into 32 hectare lots, attracting more families to farm and community.
The discovery of copper at nearby Kapunda and Burra placed Riverton on the route for bullockies and mule teams transporting the rich ore to Port Adelaide. Coal was taken back on the return journey to fuel the Burra smelters.
The activity created a need for blacksmiths, saddlers and wheelwrights to support the freight carriers, while at the same time a hotel was built in 1853 to take care of thirsty travellers.
The town soon grew to accommodate an essential telegraph office, post office and general store.
All this activity spurred the government of the day to construct a railway line which opened in 1869 together with a stylish railway station and refreshment rooms constructed out of the local bluestone.
Riverton Light Gallery