Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

 

Overlooking Riverton.

Settled in the 1840's when inn-keeper and pastoralist James Masters occupied several thousand acres in the valley where shepherds tended his flocks.

 

Riverton Uniting Church Hall

Built in 1869 as the Wesleyan Church, this building is now used as a meeting hall.

   

Riverton Community Hall

Erected in 1874 as a single story Institute at a cost of 1,000 pounds. The stage was added in 1914 and in 1930 the supper room and kitchen were built from funds raised by the successful ' Back to Riverton' celebration held in 1929.

 

The Coffee Palace (now a private residence)

48 - 50 Torrens Road. Built c11906 by Arty Cole, a local builder, using cinders and cement for Richard Burrows, coach builder, blacksmith and farrier. The first floor comprised of six bedrooms and a parlour with a bathroom, whilst the ground floor had a small grand entrance hall, kitchen, large dining room and other amenities. This building had been previously used as a boarding house, furniture store while the front rooms were leased for a betting shop, chemist, shoemaker, dental technician and a hairdressers. 

 

Riverton Community Hall

The additions erected during the State's '150 year Jubilee' in 1986 at the cost of $250,000 were officially opened by the then Governor of South Australia, Sir Donald Dunstan. Funding for this project was raised by government grants and the local community.

 

The Cottage and Hotel Central

Built in 1854 by James Mason Elliot, blacksmith and veterinary surgeon as his residence with his business covering the adjoining 16 acre allotment. c1900, Richard Burrows, coach builder and blacksmith, who specialised in wrought iron work, purchased the business. The cottage and the adjoining block was then sold to The Lion Brewing Co. who built the Hotel Central which opened in 1908.

 

Riverton History and Information Centre

Built in 1879 as the English, Scottish and Australian Bank and residence, the building was purchased by members of the Riverton RSL branch in 1959 as clubrooms. It is now owned by the Clare & Gilbert Valley Council.. In 1997 the building underwent total restoration including the facade and was divided into office suites, meeting room and History Centre with public toilets and other necessary amenities added.

 

Pioneer Garden

Established in 1856 as the Anglican Cemetery, it later became the general cemetery when the Gilbert District Council was established in 1866. It was dedicated as a Memorial Garden to our Pioneers when the town celebrated its Centenary in 1956. Eighteen of the original headstones including one which was bought in from the Macaw Creek Wesleyan Cemetery now stand at the rear of the garden as testimony to these men women and children who were among our first settlers.

 

Private Art Studio

 Built in 1872, as the Parish Hall on the site of  the original wattle and daud Anglican Chapel. It was the venue for the first secondary classes which commenced in 1913 when 32 students were enrolled on April 1st. Purchased by renowned artist Robert Hannaford in 2000, it was the venue he used when he painted the re-enactment of the First Sitting of Parliament in 1901, the year of Federation. The painting now hangs in Parliament House, Canberra.

 

'Sanda Magna' Private Residence

5 Torrens Road. Named by James Scholefield's widow, after their native village in Yorshire,, James was the District Clerk of both the Gilbert and Rhynie Councils from 1873 - 1920. He resided here with his family and died while enjoying a ' after dinner pipe' in the front parlour. The austere colonial cottage with its shingle slate roof was built by Mr. Sara in 1871. Originally, it comprised four upstairs bedrooms whilst downstairs there were two smaller bedrooms, a small parlour and breakfast room with a slate cellar under the latter room.

   

Riverton Bowling Green

Frederick Place. Opened in October 1930, the original club house was opened in January 1936 by H.A.Davis Esq. In 2000, Mr.Clyde Atkins, a retired farmer, etched past and present member's names in the pavers which now surround the greens.

 

Scholz Park Museum

Angus Scholz commenced his wheelwright business here, building the four roomed cottage in 1874. Some twelve years later, he purchased the adjoining blacksmith shop from William Sanders. The cottage remained in the Scholz family until 1966 when the District Council of Riverton purchased it for for a nominal sum from grandsons Norman and Harold Scholz. A dedicated committee restored the buildings and contents. Opened as a working museum on March 15th, 1981, the complex is now a static display and opens weekends and public holidays, or by appointment.

 

Scholz Park Museum